Thursday, October 30, 2008

The verdict's in...sort of...

It's been a busy few days. I'll start with what I've been getting the most questions on-Brandon.

We took him to the neurologist this past Monday. She told us several things...things I'm still trying to wrap my mind around. His blood work seems to have told the most, but at the same time, the least. There were some things that came up (B7 was low, TSH Thyroid test was low) that will simply be followed or retested. The *big* one was that he has a chromosomal abnormality. Something to do with his chromosome number 5. I don't have the results in front of me (they're being sent to me), so I don't know exactly what it was she said. She DID say she had wanted us to meet with a geneticist to get a more detailed explanation, further testing (on dh and I), and prognosis. However, we're moving in 2 weeks, so I'll have to set that up when we get there. We're concerned about it being a genetic condition, especially since Gabriel shows many of the same "signs" as Brandon. His MRI showed a minor abnormality. The stem of his brain hangs down a bit further into his spinal column than most. It can cause headaches and stiff neck, but generally it's ok. It's also a hereditary condition, and I would almost bet money that it's me (my mom said the same thing). I suffer constant migraines and stiff neck. His EEG showed abnormality like the first one. They couldn't be certain he was having seizures (since I didn't get them recorded), but they do know that it shows he's 70% prone to having seizures. After lengthy discussion, we opted to put him on an antiseizure medication. I was also told I could give him 1.5mg of Melatonin at night so he'll go to sleep. For ever a month, he's been keeping himself (and me) up until well past 4am. He can sleep late-I can't.

So, until we get moved, we know some-but not all. When we get there, I'll be getting to a neurologist for him, as well as Gabriel.

Now, for the next thing I've been questioned about-our move. I had to wait until I talked to my friend, Kim, before posting this. We're moving to Missouri, with my family. This was NOT the original plan-we were supposed to be going back to Florida. I had told everyone we were coming back. I feel awful having gotten their hopes up-but at the time, I HONESTLY thought that's where we were going. I had been putting it off telling people, but wanted to tell Kim first. The reasons we can't go back to Florida have NOTHING to do with us, which is unfair, to say the least. My FIL pushed hard for us to go to Canada, but we refused. Our only other options were stay here, or go to where we atleast knew someone...so Springfield it is. I'm excited (and scared, nervous, anxious). We just put the deposit down on a rental home...we got lucky and found a pretty inexpensive 4 bedroom in a decent neighborhood. We have to find jobs when we get there, but we're hopeful to get on at the hospital where my brother's in-laws work.

I'll miss the therapists that have come to help the kids. We've met wonderful people that have our kids best interests at heart. We made a few friends while here, but honestly-it never felt like "home". With all that my brother has gone through in the last few months, I'm happy to be closer to him.

I guess that's it for tonight. It's late, and I should be sleeping-maybe I should take some melatonin, too :/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad some of the pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together for you. I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible, and your new home is everything you've been hoping for and more. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I know you can't wait to move and even though you're not going to be in FL, you'll be much closer than you are now. You know you'll have to come and visit sometime right?

Becky said...

Oh, I'll visit. You know how often Pete drags the family down to see the mouse-we'll be the herd.

Stephy said...

Aww hun good luck on your move.
Sorry about Brandon but I know you'll do the right thing.
Melatonin is wonderful we use it on Caleb when he's having a hard night.
*hugs*