Monday, May 25, 2009

Now Boarding: The Bipolarcoaster

The day finally came. Sad, really, that I knew it would...prayed it wouldn't. Kaitlynne has been having meltdowns (manic epi's) more frequently lately, and last night was the worst one yet. It started so simply. She got up around 11:30pm to go to the bathroom and get a water bottle. She got up 10 minutes later to have me look at an invisible bump on her hand. 10 minutes later, she needed to change her shorts cuz they didn't match her shirt. This continuted until 12:15am, at which point I was losing my patience. I told her to get back in her room and go to bed. I was putting the twins in their own beds for the first time, and they were sleeping. I didn't want her waking them. She mumbled under her breathe, "go frig yourself". That was it. I went in there, got in her face, and told her to say it again. She just rolled her eyes. I slapped the back of her head (yes, I know, you're all gasping...I didn't hit her hard). She goes ballistic, of course. I told her next time she'd munch on some Dawn dish soap. I told her to stop her screaming since they were sleeping next to her...she proceeds to hit and kick that wall (btwn the 2 rooms). I go out, try to ignore her. 2 hours later (yes, TWO), she's still going. I ask my mom to go calm her down-doesn't work. Gabriel wakes up. Then Anne-Marie. Kaitlynne comes out still screaming and stomping. I tell her to go outside, if she's going to be like that-I didn't want the little one's seeing it. She proceeds, so I opt to help her out the door-mistake. She's stronger than normal when she's in this state. She kicks the hell out of me a few times, almost knocking me over the last time. At this point, I have no idea what to do. Usually she will wind down on her own. Doesn't usually remember most of it. She was escalating, instead. So...I called 911. I was bawling, telling them my Bipolar 11 year old is out of control; operator sounded annoyed w/ me (sorry, no one is being robbed or dying-just at wit's end). The officer (nice gal) showed up almost immediately. Thankfully, no lights or sirens. I was still crying-this was my fear, having it come to this point. She talks to Kaitlynne alone-calms her down. Another officer comes, goes in with Kaitlynne while the female cop talks to me. Tells me my options (press assault charges--holy sh*t; send her to an adolescent mental hospital that she personally has heard horror stories about--holy sh*t again; or wait until I can get a hold of Kait's psychiatrist...obvious choice). The officer spoke to Kait again, and left. She woke up this morning oblivious to most all of it ("sorry 'bout last night, I was tired"...). I'll be calling the psych tomorrow after work.

There's more to blog about, but this situation has been mentally draining for me. Everything else is going well (work, 3 little kiddos, etc...). Another day...

3 comments:

Stephy said...

I am so sorry hun!
Hope the psychiatrist actually does something. Big Big hugs! You know I know where your coming from...
I'm here if you need me.

*hugs*
Stephy

COUNTRY MOM said...

Becky, I hope things are better now. I hope the Dr. can help you out. Thoughts are with you!!!

Alyssa said...

Hugs. I just can't imagine.

Praying hard for you. Hope things are better at your place.

I hope that the doc can help your figure something out for her.